Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A New Heart!

We got the call late yesterday that there was a possible heart for Harry, it was his if it was in good condition. They finally took him around midnight (I think) to go in for surgery and at 3:45 (I think) they came out and said they were attaching the new heart. At 7:40 this morning they came out and told my Mom that the new heart was in and beating on its own! They were still finishing up, but so far so good! He has done such a great job so far. He recovered from his BiVAD surgery and was back on the list in 19 days, most people take months. He was on the transplant list for a grand total of 10 days, 5 days before the BiVAD and 5 days after. I realize that we hve been very blessed in this and am so grateful for the donor to have made it possible for Harry to keep on going, and am amazed at the doctors and what they are able to do...especially in the middle of the nught! Harry would definately not be around anymore if transplants weren't possible and if the donor had not made the decision to be a donor. We have a lot to be grateful for. Thanks for all of the prayers and support! These pictures were all taken yesterday after we got the news about the possible heart.
Anyone who knows Harry very well knows he doesn't love cameras and doesn't especially like to smile for them. When we got there he looked happier than I have seen him in quite a while. He even suffered through my photo session while he made faces and crazy smiles!

My mom isn't going to love that she has her lovely cold sore in these pictures, but she looks great anyway!

I can't remember the reason Harry was "getting after" my Mom...obviously sopmething was funny and I thought the picture was pretty funny itself!


I think Harry was sticking his tongue out as a protest to all of the pictures and demand for "serious" smiles! You gotta love him!



6 comments:

Melody said...

What awesome guy! I am so happy he is ok.

Rob and Shelly said...

This is such WONDERFUL news! I am so happy that everything worked out for your family!

Tim and Mandi said...

Woohoo! I was thinking about you guys all night! Wonderful news! I have a feeling those will become very cherished pictures! Be sure to give your mom and Harry our love and congrats!

Linda said...

It truly is amazing what they can do these days for our bodies. I'm so happy for your mom and you guys, too, and of course for Harry!

Miriam said...

Wow, such a miracle for Harry and Ruth. We are so happy for this great blessing in your family! Give Ruth my love.

Ryan Montgomery said...

Ok, so I thought everybody switched over to Facebook. Nice to see 'ol Harry doing well. You're mom is a little sweetie, best 4th grade teacher I ever had.