Monday, March 30, 2009

Grandpa Harry

My Mom remarried when I was almost 16. My step-dad Harry is one of the best guys I know. He has always been the favorite Uncle to all of his nieces and nephews, and the tradition has carried on with the grandkids. It was his birthday yesterday so I thought I would post a little ditty about him!

This picture was taken a few years ago. He grew up on a horse and is always taking the kids out to help feed them or to give them rides.
This picture was taken last summer when we went up for a visit to Snowflake. Harry has had heart failure for 10+ years and this was taken soon after a lot of his complications began to fester.

This is a picture of Harry just a couple of days ago. He has been in and out of the hospital this past year, mostly in the hospital this last month. After trying to get help REPEATEDLY at the Heart Hospital with NO LUCK (that's a whole other story) and then trying a doctor at Gilbert Mercy, with high hopes, but again, NO LUCK (I don't know what it is about doctors who think it is okay to send a dying guy home saying he's gonna be okay). Well, my Mom knew things weren't right and took him to the Mayo Clinic ER 2 days after being discharged from Gilbert Mercy and they were able to take 50+ lbs of water weight off of Harry in 72 hours. Hooray for my Mom for sticking with her intuition and keep seeking for help, or he would not be with us still. Last Friday Harry was approved to be put on the heart transplant list, without which they gave him about 2 months to live. So today I am grateful for my Step-Dad Harry, my Mom, and the doctors at the Mayo Clinic!


6 comments:

Linda said...

I'm so sorry Michelle. Sounds like the same story as my older brother who was able to get a heart transplant three years ago. He would not be here if he didn't get it. I hope for the best for Harry and your mom.

Erin said...

Congrats to Harry on being approved for the heart transplant! What amazing news. Glad to see that the system doesn't fail everyone!

Tim and Mandi said...

we love harry too! We'll keep in our prayers and hope for heart to be available soon!

Layla said...

you made me cry again.

hanna (kmcaldwell) said...

ok i don't know you but this was on layla's blog and you made me cry. Harry is such a great guy.

Hanna Caldwell

Layla said...

yep. still makes me cry. thanks a lot michelle. but dangit I can't stop looking.